Long Resigns as Mayor, Says He Will Stay in Council Race

Story updated at 5:30 p.m. with statement from an attorney representing two of the victims, plus a video of Long's complete statement: ...

Story updated at 5:30 p.m. with statement from an attorney representing two of the victims, plus a video of Long's complete statement:

Four days after his arrest on suspicion of DUI in a local traffic accident, Murrieta Mayor Alan Long Monday announced his resignation during a press conference at City Hall.

Long, who is awaiting a Dec. 11 court date regarding an accident that injured four teenage girls, said he believes he will be exonerated but decided it was best for the city to resign the remainder of his term in office.

That term has only a few weeks left. Long is one of nine candidates for three open seats on the City Council in the Nov. 4 election. He said that while he does not want his case to become a distraction, he is not withdrawing from the race for re-election.

"I am well aware that being involved in such a high-profile accident in my position as mayor and as a member of the City Council will be a distraction," Long said in making a brief statement, taking no questions afterward. "Because I love and care for this city and community, I cannot in good conscience allow that to continue. Therefore, effective immediately, I am resigning as your mayor and as a member of the council for this current term."

While adding that his resignation "will ensure there is not even a hint of impropriety and that I will be treated in this matter just like anyone else," Long said he believes he will be exonerated.

According to police reports, Long was driving his truck southbound on Jefferson Avenue near Murrieta Valley High School at about 8:15 p.m. Thursday. His vehicle rear-ended a car carrying four cheerleaders at the high school as they prepared to turn left only Lily Avenue. Long was arrested after officers determined he was impaired, police said.

A breathalyzer test showed his blood alcohol level to be .07, just below the legal limit of .08. He was booked into the Southwest Detention Center and released on $50,000 bail.

The four girls received moderate to major injuries and were transported to a local hospital. Three of the girls were released and one remained hospitalized on Saturday, although the extent of her injuries have not been reported.

Long was due to conduct the Murrieta City Council meeting Tuesday night. Although he will not do so, he remains on the ballot for re-election and said he will continue his campaign.

"I want to make it very clear that while I am resigning my positions as mayor and as a member of the City Council, I am not withdrawing from the current election," he said. "Once the legal process is complete, I feel I will be exonerated, and therefore see no reason why I should not seek re-election."

Long is battalion chief for the Anaheim Fire Department. A spokesman for the department said his employment status has not changed.

L. Wallace Pate, a Beverly Hills-based attorney, told reporters after the press conference that she represents two of the girls injured in the accident.

"The mayor said he is concerned about due process," she said. "We are too, but we're more concerned about the truth. Let's not forget, these children are suffering, their parents are suffering ... this is a serious situation. And for him to say that he will be exonerated and he's going to run again ... defies logic."

Here's video of Long's entire statement during the press conference:


News 8047169710216037

Post a Comment

  1. I believe Long's term was actually through December. That is usually when any new Council members are sworn in, and when the Council selects its new mayor and mayor pro-rem (usually on a rotational basis).

  2. Not really interested in your holy grail of politcal aspirations.
    Would like to know if Mr Mayor was doing city business when the crash occured
    and would like to see all charges to the city on the mayors account within the last 6 months.



Follow Us

Subscribe Via E-mail